Historic Timeline

John Dickinson developed many new processes for making paper and other paper products on this site.  The special silk thread paper used for the Universal Penny Post (introduced in 1840) was produced here.  Subsequently some of the earliest envelopes, then called ‘Pockets’, were made here.

 

The small hamlet developed around the mill to create a vibrant community, eventually Dickinson’s nearby mill at Apsley, began to make these Stationery products. This provided more room to expand.

1956

Modernisation

1966

Dickenson Robinson Group

John Dickinson and Co. Ltd. Merged with ES & A Robinson of Bristol to become the Dickinson Robinson Group (DRG).

Nash Mills rear.jpg

2006

SAPPI

SAPPI ceased production.

Sappi Van Nash Mills.jpg

Major modernisation began with the construction of a huge new machine house. This was followed a few years later by a modern warehouse on the former parkland.

1086

Naysshemyle

Nash Mill had been a 

water-powered corn mill since 

before the Domesday survey of 1086.  In medieval documents it was called Naysshemyle.

1624

Sir James Fullerton 

1769

Sir James Fullerton bought ‘Nashe’ Mill for £550, when John Davidson was the miller. 

Zacharia House
 

1790

Griffith Jones

The House thought to have been built by Griffith Jones. Jones’s business partner was Anne Blackwell, widow of an earlier papermaker here. 

It is believed that he may have 

financed the re-building of the mill to a high standard.

G Jones waternark.jpg

1809

John Dickinson

John Dickinson bought Apsley Mill ½ mile (0.8 km) upstream.

1811

Fire

1817

Injunction 

John Dickinson won an injunction against the Grand Junction Canal Company causing them to re-route the canal to its present course close to Dickinson’s Apsley and Nash Mills.  Previously this had run on the opposite side of Belswains Lane

SKM_C224e20030512310.jpg

John Dickinson bought Nash Mill much of which was destroyed by a fire in 1813.  He lived in Nash Mill House

SKM_C224e20030512330.jpg

1856

1836

Abbots Hill

John Dickinson built Abbots Hill as his residence.  Following this Nash Mill House occupied by his 

partner Charles Longman until he built Shendish House in 1856

John Evans

John Evans family moved into Nash Mill House

1906

John Dickinson & Co. Ltd,

John Evans moved to Berkhamsted, the  house then became offices for John Dickinson & Co. Ltd.

1990

Buy-Out of DRG

Nash Mill sold to SAPPI (South African Pulp and Paper 

Industries.) following an 

aggressive buy-out of DRG.

2016

Site sold to Nash House Development Ltd

Paper was produced at the Mill as early as 1769 by Zacharia House.

1886

John Dickinson & Co. Ltd,

John Dickinson bought Nash Mill much of which was destroyed by a fire in 1813.  He lived in Nash Mill House

SKM_C224e20030512520.jpg

2007

Site sold to Crest Nicholson

The site sold for £25,000,000 to Linden Homes & Crest Nicholson .Crest Nicholson were granted 

planning permission for 450 dwellings in 2009.

 

In 2014 Crest Nicholson entered into a joint-venture with an independent construction company. Within 18 months the Construction company had stripped the building to less then 5% of its historic fabric. Before filing for bankruptcy. 

The site was then shut down by Crest Nicholson

DCP00169.JPG

After seeing the House in such disrepair, it was purchased by Nash House Development Ltd, owned by a local businessman.

nash house 2016.jpg

2020

Redevelopment

In 2019 the redevelopment of the site began, with the completion of Nash House in 2020 (CGI Interpretation of the final development below.)

NHD001 Nash Mills 003.jpg